1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Understand Texting

By September 16, 2008

It's a language going round the Earth - Texting. What is it? Well, it's those acronyms such as 'URT1' (Translation: You are the one) which young people (and some old) are using when sending SMS messages, speaking in chat rooms or sending e-mail. Here is a resource for English learners that provides a definition and an explanation in simple English.

Numbers, A B, C D, E F, G H,
I J, K L, M N O, P Q R, S T, U V W, X Y Z

Comments

July 30, 2006 at 5:15 pm
(1) dymon says:

can you tel me what is it the makes texting a habbit

December 29, 2006 at 4:54 pm
(2) 2old2txt says:

txtng bcomes habbt aftr 4 wks…
ru n addick?

January 5, 2007 at 1:37 am
(3) Marconi says:

http://a1r.mobi/me has a texting dictionary that is .mobi compliant for all mobile phones. Also ideal for teens, since the site offers live chat, topical forums, RSS feeds on teen news and more. Bookmark it.

January 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(4) brahim elouafi says:

texting is but a yield of two major factors: first,speed of message delivery;second is the urgent need to defy “cumbersome” grammar rules.

January 30, 2008 at 9:17 am
(5) christiane couret says:

Hi how can I deregister please? Thanks

January 30, 2008 at 11:13 am
(6) esl says:

If you’d like to unsubscribe from a newsletter, please click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the newsletter.

February 5, 2008 at 2:57 pm
(7) randi says:

i so agree cuz i love texting its my life
ps i love chad

February 13, 2008 at 7:45 am
(8) Rose Ann says:

duh!!maka ADK!!

March 30, 2008 at 2:53 pm
(9) bob john says:

TEXTING WONT HURT THE STUDENTS ABILITY TO TEXT CUZ THEY ALWAYS WILL AND IF THEY KEEP THERE TEXTING WORDS DIFFERENT FROM THE WORDS THEY USE IN ENGLISH THEY SHOULD BE FOINE SO STOP WORRING PARENTS

June 20, 2008 at 10:48 am
(10) waterbabyy says:

if you took the time to spell correctly, people would believe you. you dont exactly put up a good argument.

September 4, 2008 at 9:18 am
(11) maddie says:

i have 2 admit that im addicted to texting. its a really good way to talk to your friends fast. like if u only have a few things to say dont waste ur time calling people when u can just text.

September 25, 2008 at 8:07 am
(12) ahmed says:

Texting is becoming a language itself. Every one must have a texting dictionary in order to be in connection with SMS and e-mails world. One day i received a sms with lots of texting acronyms which i didn`t understand.Therefore, i downloaded a texting dictionary to be able to communicate with others.
but the questions are: will English grammar and rules of spelling disappear in the coming years? will we have to add a new skill among the English skills and teach it in schools? or will we have a new language instead of the current English?

September 30, 2008 at 2:05 am
(13) Juli says:

I just want to say thank you from Hungary. When I want to teach “real language” (how it is used in everyday life) I turn to your page and I always find something interesting both for my teaching and for my own development.
I wish to you all the best; thank you once more for your efforts.
Juli

October 10, 2008 at 10:07 am
(14) jessie says:

your page is a real treasure trove when it comes to learning the language. I enjoy going through it every time i get a chance. thank you.

October 15, 2008 at 7:38 pm
(15) Zoboo says:

I love texting. I love images of parts of grocery stores. I never wanted a cell phone. But my dad got me one as a surpise and I never used it till my friend got texting then I got unlimited texting to all networks and I am now a fan of texting.

December 5, 2008 at 11:23 am
(16) crystal says:

duh!! every yong person luvz 2 txt n i m 1 of dem

March 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(17) Mallory! says:

Yes texting is addicting, but you cant stop people from doing it. It’s just like using a computer, im sure everybody abbreviate’s words when they type, so using a computer is just as bad as texting.

March 19, 2009 at 12:55 pm
(18) Aaron says:

can texting help your hand eye coordination

April 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(19) kelsey says:

GO TEXTING!! woot woot!

April 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(20) meagan says:

i agree with kelsey GO TEXTING!! woot woot woot

June 5, 2009 at 1:13 am
(21) Dirk Sullivan says:

its crazy… how did I live before texting? now I can group text for free… textPlus. check it out. its in the app store.

April 12, 2010 at 6:30 pm
(22) erica says:

i cant bleve txting is considered a 2nd language!!!its crazy :)

May 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(23) Ms. Ann says:

You do NOT have to know how to spell…..U just use text messaging vocabulary,,,IYKWIM ( If You Know What I Mean!)