1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Speaking Strategies

By October 30, 2008

Many English students complain that they understand English, but don't feel confident enough to join a conversation. Here is a collection of speaking strategies, lesson plans, suggestion pages and more which will help you and your students improve English speaking skills in and outside of class.

Comments

August 15, 2007 at 12:26 am
(1) Libby Cruz BŠypoli says:

Thank you for tackling this kind of topics. It is very useful for us, foreign English teachers who have been in the USA only for academic purposes. This allows us to learn about and to help our students understanding cultural uses. Yours sincerely, Libby.

August 15, 2007 at 2:03 am
(2) raha says:

i need teaching strategies

& the list of common vocabulary is used in our daily dialogs

August 15, 2007 at 2:44 am
(3) Behzad Sheikh says:

Dear Mr. Beare,
I am an Iranian English Teacher working for the Iran language Institute( fomer Iran-America Society). I have been almost using your invaluable resources, experince and guidelines for quite a long time and have also been successful in disseminating what I have so far learned to a large network of professional teachers.To be honest, I feel indebted to you and your honorable colleagues for this generous, friendly and conducive atmosphere that you have well created for us, foreign English teachers, worldwide. Thank you again.

August 22, 2007 at 4:17 am
(4) thomas mathew says:

I am English Professor who has put in 37 years of teaching English. I get new ideas about teaching English through About.com. I am going to start a coaching programme for grammar through orkut.com. I can teach grammar in 10 hours time and I am sure if my strategy is followed any one can master E.Grammar within that time.

March 15, 2008 at 10:13 pm
(5) Princess says:

Hi! I am an ESL Teacher. I just wanna thank you for giving me tips and strategies on how to improve more my teaching skill. Your site has been helping me a lot on my profession. The information you are feeding me are all essentials and beneficial to me and my students. I’m so greatful for that. Keep it up guys and more power!

July 22, 2008 at 9:40 am
(6) jefferson says:

i need a direct information about strategies to improve speaking skills

September 29, 2008 at 6:46 am
(7) Mehrdad Rahmanpour says:

Hi.I think it’s better to talk about the effect of topic choice on student’s participation in EFL settings and provide some nice topics for young adults.

November 4, 2008 at 8:37 am
(8) Immi says:

Hi,

I started my career as an English teacher in Feb 2008 and since then I have been using the material that you sent me regularly. I have always found them very helpful as I had very less idea of teaching English as a second language when I am not a native speaker myself. But it’s so exciting to teach English!! Many thanks to about.com
I wonder if you could help in designing a proper course structure for a local college for the students of BBA and MBA.
with regards,
Immi

November 4, 2008 at 10:10 am
(9) Orlando Carranza says:

Thank you so much for all the useful things that we have learned throughout these years. Our students also benefited a lot with them. Keep up the good work, Kenneth.
O. Carranza

November 4, 2008 at 9:24 pm
(10) Daisy says:

Thank you very much. It is very useful!

November 5, 2008 at 7:30 am
(11) TULIP says:

thanks a million for the effort you do to help teachers . I have been teaching english for six years and I face some troubles concerning teaching english for kids and how I can make them motivated to learn and speak english. On the other side I am not a native speaker of the english language so I feel teeching kids made me loose my language how can I improve it
thanks

January 15, 2009 at 1:21 am
(12) efi dyah indrawati says:

Hi! I am an Indonesian and I teach English for diploma students. I want to thank you for your invaluable tips and strategies, especially on how to teach speaking. The information on your site are all important and beneficial to me and my students. Iím so indebted to you. Best regards,
Efi.

November 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm
(13) Arkady Zilberman says:

You correctly stated all the difficulties of adults who can read and write in English but can’t speak. This is due to subconscious cross-translation into the native tongue. Since it is a subconscious activity adults can’t turn it off by will, they will need special tools for turning-off cross-translation.

The best tool is to read, listen and speak at the same time of English lessons. It is especially useful if you will have an option of selecting the lessons of your choice.

November 12, 2009 at 1:28 am
(14) Ellis Dion says:

Dear Kenneth, I’m an ESL Trainer too and find your methods quite innovative. Thanks.

November 13, 2009 at 4:55 am
(15) Sampath says:

Dear Kenneth,
You are th ebest English teacher.

November 21, 2009 at 11:05 am
(16) Ashish Pandey says:

Sir i am Ashish Pandey i like english language but i feel confusion during the passiv voice like how to use should have been,could have been and would have been. Ashish Pandey Indore INDIA.

June 22, 2010 at 10:32 am
(17) hussain says:

dear kenneth,you;re my teacher ,i am in somalia
thank you!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 10:35 am
(18) hussain says:

goooooooooooood gggggggggggggoooooooood
my dear teacher iam in a somalia

June 22, 2010 at 8:25 pm
(19) cynthia says:

I am teaching English online. We give remarks to students and I am running out of encouraging remarks for them. Please help!

June 22, 2010 at 10:56 pm
(20) fa says:

Hi, thank you very much for useful lessons

June 24, 2010 at 8:28 am
(21) Micheal Kasango says:

Dear Kenneth, Thank you for your educative and interesting lessons. I have always found problems responding to certain phrases like; I am glad to meet you, How is the going, Meet my colleague, Good night. I have also read about the different speaking stages and I was left unsatisfied when it came to the while stage, can you please throw more light on it, or if you do not mind you can do for all of them. Micheal.

June 24, 2010 at 8:32 am
(22) David Nekku says:

Dear Kenneth, I must say that you have done us well. It is really a problem for some of us to speak English not because we do not understand it, but the reasons you have put across are paramount. I myself I fear to join conversations for fear of being laughed at. The moment I make a mistake I realise it myself and start blaming myself quietely. I would especially like you to teach the daily English we have to use everywhere and how we can give speeches. David

June 24, 2010 at 8:36 am
(23) Isaac Tabu says:

Dear Kenneth, I am Isaac Solomon, thank you for the good lessons, I would like you to send more lessons for beginners, because my English is still very poor. Isaac

June 24, 2010 at 8:41 am
(24) Sonia says:

Dear Kenneth, thank you for recognising that English is not our mother tongue, we have always been blamed for speaking poor English and I think your lessons will do a great deal of work for us. God bless you. Sonia

June 27, 2010 at 1:38 am
(25) Jeniv says:

Dear Kenneth, Isaac has always shared with me lessons you send him and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the work well done. I am particularly interest in you sending us samples of speeches, and responses to small talks, I

August 4, 2010 at 9:51 am
(26) Licious says:

I am from South Africa, thank you kenny. you know signed in because I want to remind myself of the English that i learned during my school days, But Im learning so much more, Thank you so much, I enjoy the quizes, thank you world for embracing us with you presence during world cup!!!!!