1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Visual Help with Prepositions

By December 2, 2009

Take note of where Bob is in relationship to the objects in the pictures to help improve your understanding of prepositions of place.

Comments

July 22, 2008 at 9:06 am
(1) Sabri says:

i really apreciate, cause, this morning i wanna guide someone to where i work and i was confused about which words to use.

Thanks

July 22, 2008 at 11:31 am
(2) Amira says:

Prepositions have always been a difficulty for non-native speakers. Being illustrated by pictures is a great idea. Even, I,as a teacher, am sometimes confused. Students tend to translate the prepositions into their first language, and from here comes the confusion. At/in are also a difficulty.

July 24, 2008 at 11:53 pm
(3) Sani says:

Very informative and useful. Tq so much.

July 27, 2008 at 7:59 pm
(4) Harry Yong says:

It’s very useful for our kids who could understand prepositions. I really appreciate what you have done for English learners.
Harry

July 31, 2008 at 6:42 pm
(5) Nani says:

Ok, but what about the troublesome: in/at/on?

October 21, 2008 at 10:03 am
(6) Rita says:

What a great way to learn English with visual help.
I have heard the saying a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case I believe it is true.
Thank you!

October 22, 2008 at 3:23 am
(7) Afzal Raza says:

Its a wonderful peace of work. It will clear all the doubts of beginners of English Language Learners and helps to remember the usage of prepositions for a long time
Thank you very muc for this kind of act

October 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm
(8) Hirpho says:

i would like to say thank you very much for free help

July 7, 2009 at 3:05 pm
(9) Chaya says:

If it’s a room of the house it is always ‘in.’ If it’s a place such as a bank or a supermarket or any kind of store, you can use either ‘in’ or ‘at.’ But most Americans would tend to say ‘at the bank.’ If it’s the beach or a park, it’s better to use ‘at.’ And, of course, if one is standing directly in front of a counter, you use ‘at.’ He’s standing at the counter. Or – he’s sitting at his desk. I always joke around and ask “Is he sitting on his desk?” (I then start to sit on my desk.) Or “Is he sitting in his desk?” That also gets a laugh. I’m very physical; that is, I use my body and hands to express the meaning of the word.

July 8, 2009 at 2:04 am
(10) Khadijah says:

Thank you Kenneth, that was an eye opener. Can you pls tell me which one is correct, sitiing on a chair or sitting in a chair, fell off the chair or fell from the chair?

July 8, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(11) marilyn says:

Thank you very much for this guide. It helps a lot to me as beginners of english language..

July 9, 2009 at 3:46 am
(12) prasad says:

Thanks, good illustration. expect more. wishes!!

July 10, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(13) Georgeta Dumitriu says:

CONGRATULATIONS ! for your great job.All your information is very useful for me.I love your site,it helps me a lot.

December 9, 2009 at 9:07 am
(14) nan says:

I appreciate your help. If it’s possible to go on, in the same way with the all prepositions. It will be nice of you.

December 23, 2009 at 11:00 am
(15) Samrawit Gidey says:

hey i wanna take the Toefl exam , i have the book but i do’n where to start

November 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm
(16) sherlyn says:

Your site refreshes my mind. It helps me a lot!

December 2, 2011 at 8:44 am
(17) Omar mohamed says:

Thank you very much mr kenneth beare for this guide.