1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Deciding to Become an ESL Teacher

By October 15, 2010

Becoming an ESL teacher offers a unique multi-cultural opportunity. Job benefits include: international travel opportunities, multi-cultural training, and job satisfaction. This guide to what to do before you become an ESL teacher will help you think about the issues involved in becoming an ESL teacher.

Comments

November 8, 2006 at 6:49 pm
(1) raul diazpomares says:

i’m already an ESL teacher for ovar 30 years and I’ve been very successful since i’ve had the opportunity to taeach people English and meet people’s needs,I don’t think I woukd have bee more successful If had made another choice

November 9, 2006 at 5:05 am
(2) Ray says:

Not that kind of teacher. He did not learn well.

November 9, 2006 at 6:24 pm
(3) Noel says:

I’m already an English teacher. I’ve been one since 9 years ago, but I’d like to work overseas. If you have some information, please send it to me. Thanks

November 12, 2006 at 2:57 am
(4) ashfaqahmed says:

I am very to become Enlish teacher in ESL.

November 13, 2006 at 4:53 am
(5) subhash chander says:

i would like to become english teacher
but when i will feel myself perfect in this subject

December 25, 2006 at 1:51 pm
(6) Marina says:

Would you please informe me
What are the requirement to become an english teacher ?
Thanks and Merry Xmas !!
Alegria

September 23, 2008 at 4:41 pm
(7) Hortencia De La Rosa says:

Hi,,, i would like to become an ESL teacher,,, This is my 2nd year in college, and I would like to know what are the requirements to become an ESL teacher?

September 23, 2008 at 5:05 pm
(8) esl says:

It depends on which situation you want to teach in. Most private schools for adults accept a TEFL or CELTA certificate. Colleges require a Master’s Degree in teaching ESL.

March 6, 2009 at 4:47 am
(9) santosh says:

hi i wanna to be the best speaker ..please do send any tips or guidance to improve in any way..

thanks
kumar
91-9790417060

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 am
(10) KaCee says:

I hope all of the comments on this page actually came from a group of students, and at best could be Intermediate level. None of those who claimed to be long-standing teachers of Engllish really could be with all those terrible mistakes! If they are, it might explain why when I get the students, they say things like, “I speak very well English!” or “I want to ameliorate my English.” Oh dear.

March 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(11) Dr. REJI GEORGE says:

Hello,
I a University Undergraduate Teacher, teaching English Language & Literature for the past 12 years in India, and presently teraching in University of Garyounis, Libya affiliated Undergraduate College. I have been teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language, for 12-13 years. I already have a Doctorate(Ph.D) in English. But I am willing to gain some additional Masters or Diploma or Certificate Degree in ESOL/TEFL.Pls guide which course is better and from which reliable instution I can undergo this course. I would like to work in an International and multicultural environment, overseas especially in European countries or Australia or Newzealand, US and Canada or Other Gulf countries.Pls do kindly let me know how are my chances of getting an opportunity to work in good instituions in these countries . Please do guide me and show me the right direction.
Dr. Reji

March 10, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(12) kerryh says:

To those who wish to become English teachers. Please do a degree or post graduate degree in Language construction. This gives an understanding of basic grammar, sentence structure, word order and rules of writing and speaking. Without this, English language teachers often make the unforgivable errors displayed above. Just because one has a degree in English or can speak the language well is not sufficient training to teach the language. English is a complex language and I am constantly trying to overcome language issues in students who have learned from teachers with ‘English’ degrees, and are unaware of their limitations. If you don’t understand English construction and its plethora of rules, being able to read and write English will only serve you to teach the very low level student. An English language teacher needs more than the ability to write and speak English in order to teach it properly.

March 11, 2009 at 1:11 am
(13) ha says:

hi, i want become a English teacher but i have communication problem. can u help me please…………..

March 13, 2009 at 8:58 am
(14) vinoditasankhyan says:

Hi, I am teaching in college for the past 11yrs and would like to be an online teacher who specializes in spoken english and grammar . I also train for soft skills and IELTS.

April 3, 2009 at 12:19 pm
(15) Gio says:

I’ve read some of the comments and inquiries by those interested in teaching the english language. I’d like to say, in all respect, that before you even think so, to better your english first. I mean what english can you teach when you need to work on it yourself.

April 24, 2009 at 12:28 am
(16) Rosaura B says:

Totally agree with some of the comments, I would like to be a wonderful teacher and I recognize I am a toddler yet, even if I am almost in my 50s, I will do it!

July 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm
(17) Apu says:

Finally I am become perfect in talking English so finally now time to teach student others how to talk English. I will become ESL teacher and make money. ESL is a good job for me today. Thanks for very well links.

April 16, 2010 at 7:58 am
(18) Mohamed Abdel Razzak Diab says:

I like being an English teacher

April 24, 2010 at 12:09 am
(19) mary chen says:

wow, i am fascinated. i recently just graduated from college in social work and i am facing difficulty in getting a job in that field. I am a shy person, and i get quite uncomfortable when i’m in front of the classroom setting. After hearing about this opportunity, i am really motivated to consider to become an ESL teacher as my career. I think before i do anything else, i should test myself to see if i am qualified and suited for teaching that is i need to overcome my shyness and be more confident in classroom settings.

and i would very appreciate to receive more information regarding to this posting
Thank You once again.

October 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm
(20) arwa khafaga says:

I really need help for an specialist to correct what I write especially I like writing about different topics . can you help me?

October 26, 2010 at 9:30 am
(21) Vergara says:

I recently completed an on-line course to obtain a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). (I-to-I Learning) I will be moving to Peru in the next 2 years and want to be able to teach English there. There are many on-line courses offered, but as with all internet courses – check out the offers very carefully. I chose this one because it also offered a weekend classroom course to reinforce the on-line teaching. If you have a BS or MS in education and TEFL certification you will have a better chance.

In preparation for teaching English, I have been volunteering at my local community college as a teaching assistant in their ESL program. This is an excellent way to learn and observe the various teaching methods that teachers use, as well as get a first-hand look at some of the challenges involved.

October 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(22) wassila says:

Hi, I’m an ESL teacher for 3 years.I ‘m looking for training sessions in english in UK .If you help me kenneth , I’ll be so grateful.I do really want improve my way of teaching english.

Thanks

October 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(23) wassila says:

Hi, Kenneth

I’m an ESL teacher for 3 years.I’m looking for training sessions in Uk.If you help me , I’ll be so grateful.I do really like english and I want to improve my way of teaching .

October 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm
(24) Hans says:

Some of the comments made by the people purporting to be ESL or EFL teachers are quite hilarious and reflect a poor command of English.
The good Dr Reiji with a Ph.D in English for example has been let loose on poor undergraduate students in Lybia. Well, he certainly appears to need some guidance, as do the other long standing teachers that have contributed their comments.
Raul: ‘I am already an english teacher for 30 years……….’

Apu says:’Finally I am become perfect in talking English so finally now time to teach student others how to talk English.’

Asfaquahmed however knows his limitations when he writes ‘I am very to become Enlish teacher in ESL.’

English is a difficult language to master and not being native speakers, we should never stop learning.

Of course there are many native speakers who have a terrible command of their own language.

November 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm
(25) Nadin says:

Hello to everyone.
I’m here because I would like to study to become an ESL teacher.
The only experience I have is teaching English in Spain the past two summers to children from three to twelve years old. Other than that I haven’t study in any TEFL courses or programs.
I’m in a two-year college and would like to know where to begin my studies, also i would like to more about Language Construction.

May 15, 2013 at 4:04 am
(26) Akbar Ali says:

I’ve done my Ph. D. in English. I’ve also done TKT from the prestigious University of Cambridge. I have been teaching English language and Professional Communication for more than 6 years at tertiary level. Now I’m planning to teach the same in the Middle East. Could you please suggest me the way I have to take to be successful in my endeavour.

Thanks and regards