1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Video Lessons: Differences Between British and American English

By March 12, 2012

I'm sometimes asked if American and British English are the same language. The answer is YES! However, there are some differences, most notably in pronunciation, vocabulary and a few minor grammar points. Heather Blanchard, a British colleague, provides these videos pointing out the most important differences:

Video: Vocabulary Differences in British and American English
Video: Spelling Differences in British and American English

Comments

March 13, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(1) jobokop says:

typical american rubbish.

March 14, 2012 at 2:40 am
(2) Ken says:

Please Mr. Beare, you are generalizing extremely broadly. For communication purposed at the beginner’s or lower intermediate, a person versed in either AmE or BrE can understand the essence of what is being communicated, but at the advance level, it is a totally different story. With two American college degrees, I have no problem preparing a sample response to a SAT question. But I cannot pad a required three-page essay response with the same information; I cannot produce so much wordiness to accomplish the task. I’ve taught BrE grammar for Business Communication two years ago, and I can tell you it is not similar to the classic John Warriner’s English Grammar and Composition that I grew up with.

March 14, 2012 at 10:48 am
(3) roberttocruz says:

how i can improve my english prnoun

March 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm
(4) Corina says:

Good day. Mr.Beare

Thanks a lot.

Corina Diaz

March 17, 2012 at 10:41 am
(5) Wagner says:

There are many other different words Heather Blanchard teacher didn’t mention due to the video time, but, this is very clear that British and American English is very different. There is a similar case here in Brazil when Portuguese language is compared with Portuguese which is spoken in Portugal – lots of differences in words, grammar and accent.

Thanks for the lesson!

WB

April 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm
(6) Mariosantos says:

Well I am interested about an american english and guess it is difficult to have to distinguish each of them…so I think you have to learn first what you want and no mix at all..