Many tests include a word formation section. In this exercise, you are required to change the form of the word given to the correct form of speech.
Time Required: N/A
- Read the text through trying to understanding the general meaning.
- Look at each missing word gap and the key word that needs to be changed.
- Decide which part of speech (adjective, noun, gerund, etc.) needs to be used to fill each gap.
- Any words that come immediate to mind, should be penciled in.
- Return to the more difficult words and think about the various parts of speech that can be formed using the key word (care - careless, careful, carelessly, uncarefully, etc.).
- Fill in the final answer with the appropriate forms.
- Remember to think about prefixes and suffixes that can change the meaning and help complete the meaning.
- Always think about the overall meaning of the text (i.e., whether the text is negative, positive, etc.) to make sure that your answer choice fits the context.
- Trust your intuition. If you feel a word is right instinctively, it probably is correct.