English is a very rhythmic language because only certain, important words are accented. For this reason, you should practice using your ear as much as possible.
Speak through the following sentences trying to carefully pronounce EVERY word. Notice how unnatural this sounds. Next, focus on speaking the sentences stressing only content words. Tape yourself doing this and you will be surprised at how quickly your pronunciation improves!
- By the time he receives this letter, I will have caught the train to Paris.
- Following closely behind the herd was a group of filthy, disgusting vultures.
- I'll make sure to give him a ring the next time I'm in town.
- Not only are the exams required, but they are also absolutely imperative for your further education.
- Hey, have you seen the new film with Bruce Willis? You know, the one where he's supposed to be a sensitive doctor.