There are many types of human relationships: romantic relationships, friendships, work relationships and more. This exercise provides key vocabulary used when speaking about relationships. Begin by learning the vocabulary grouped in categories, then move on to learn important verbs used in exploring relationships. Finally, complete the two gap fill exercises to check your knowledge.
People We Know Day to Day
People We Know at Work
People We Don't Like
step parent / brother / sister / child
Important Verbs - Single Word Verbs
get along with
pay attention to
look up to
have a crush on
hit it off with
get on with
saddle up to
break up with
take advantage of
get on the wrong side of
Exercise 1Fill in the blank with one of the words or phrases below. Each word or phrase is used once.
in-laws, old flame, nemesis, mentor, unrequited love, crush, stalker, blind date, significant other, host
- I get along well with my _____. I’m glad I married into such a nice family!
- I hate Tom! He’s been my _____ since we were kids.
- Francis is very shy. He’s unfortunately suffered from _____ two or three times. Girls just don’t seem to like him very much.
- My first _____ was on my typing teacher when I was 14 years old.
- I went out with my _____ for two years. It was a lot of fun, but then I went to college and the relationship died.
- Have you every been followed by a _____? It must be a horrible experience.
- Mary has been with her __________ for more than ten years. They don’t want to get married.
- Jack and Susan met by going on a __________ together that their friends had arranged.
- Janice is an excellent _______. She has a party at her house at least once a month.
- Without the help of my _______, I wouldn’t have become the business success that I am today!
Fill in the blank with one of the verbs below:mock, have a crush on, sponge off of, cooperate with, apologize to, initiate, hit it off with, get along with, emulate, get on the wrong side of
- I think it’s cruel of you to ______ Jim so much. He’s doing his best, even though you can’t _____ him. As your boss I demand that you _______ him. Go over to his cubicle and ______ him immediately. Once you’ve done that you can ______ a better relationship.
- I can remember the first time I met Rich. We _________ each other from the very first time. However, he was also unkind to those he didn’t like. I certainly didn’t want to _______ him!
- When we are young we all ______ our parents. This is true especially if you _______ someone else and you need money to go out on dates. I try to _____ my father in my relationship with my daughter. I give her money to go out and I never make her feel as if she’s taking advantage of my generosity.
Go to the next page for the answers to the gap fill exercises.