While old-fashioned, I still find what I call "grammar banging" (intensive grammar review sheets) useful at the end or beginning of the year. The end of year calls for exam preparation and the beginning calls for some review to raise awareness of what has already been learnt and where problems still lie. The sheets provided in these "grammar banging" reviews are very effective because each question focuses on one important, specific area. I have included the answers and a short note of the grammar focus after the exercise.
Aim: Grammar review of the most important upper-intermediate level English tenses, structure and functions
Activity: Grammar banging multiple choice review lesson with each question focusing on a specific point
- This is straight-forward stuff. Make the copies and give them to the students.
- Have each student do the sheet by him/herself.
- Ask students to compare answers and discuss differences, each student trying to explain his/her choice.
- Correct sheet as a class. Review each grammar point quickly - you should get a lot of "Oh, yeah....".
- Give the students an unmarked copy of the same exercise to repeat at home to solidify the review exercise.
"Grammar Banging" - Review your English - 3 - Upper-Intermediate Choose the correct word to fill in the gap
- He drove the car ____________ the garage and left for work.
A) into B) out C) out of D) outside
- Jack _____________ a fortune when his great uncle Jack passed on.
A) made into B) went into C) came into D) bought
- Unfortunately, Mary has _______ friends in Tacoma.
A) a few B) few C) some D) many
- Where was Jack yesterday? - I don't know. He ________________ seeing the doctor.
A) might has been B) might have been C) couldn't have been D) mustn't have been
- "I will finish that project soon." - Ken said he ___________ that project soon.
A) would finish B) will finish C) had finished D) will be finished
- In my opinion, Sophia Loren is _______________ beautiful woman.
A) very B) a very C) an extremely D) extremely
- In his position _____ managing director, he is responsible for more than 300 employees.
A) like B) as C) of D) about
- She wished she ___________ the new car.
A) bought B) to buy C) has bought D) had bought
- Fiestas ______________ in Cologne, Germany for many years now.
A) have been making B) have made C) have been made D) are made
- I really think you ____________ see a doctor.
A) would better B) better C) had better D) could better
- You'll be leaving for Tokyo soon, ___________?
A) aren't you B) won't you C) don't you D) shall you
___________ the last market session, the Down Jones dropped 67 points.
A) While B) While having C) During D) Throughout
Back to lessons resource page