Newspaper Crazies takes newspaper or magazine articles as the starting point for regular and irregular verb recognition. You'll need some newspapers or magazines.
Aim: Have students recognize and identify regular and irregular verb usage.
Activity: Newspaper Crazies - takes a newspaper or magazine article as the starting point for verb recognition
- Have students sit in their seats/desks.
- Today, we are going to play a game called “Newspaper Crazies.” In this game, you will each receive a piece of newspaper, a pencil and a pen. It is your job in five minutes to circle all the regular verbs you recognize in pencil, and all irregular verbs in pen. I will set the timer and at the end, you are going to share all the verbs you found with a partner.
- Pass out one piece of newspaper, one pencil and one pen to each student.
- Let students search for verbs for five minutes. As you monitor students, check to see if they are circling correct regular and irregular verb forms. If they are not, stop them and have them read the verb aloud. If they still do not recognize their mistake, talk them through it by having them use it in a sentence.
- Let students share with a partner for about three minutes.
- Observe students play the game. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.
This activity has been adapted for ESL classes from a lesson at Free Reading Net under the Creative Commons license Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.