The Bottom Line
TEFL Uncovered - How to Teach Your Way Abroad With TEFL by James Jenkin provides an excellent starting point for anyone interested in teaching English abroad. It is a workbook that will provide useful time and time again when making decisions about and applying for work. TEFL Uncovered also serves as an excellent overview of the TEFL profession as a whole. All this and it is offered at an unbeatable price: Free
- Workbook format
- Focus on economic and cultural realties of the profession
- Documentation on each region of the world
- Resources provided as clickable links
- Tools and tips on TEFL employment
- PDF format doesn't allow editing unless you own Adobe software
- Few details on career improvement for established teachers
- The book comes in the form of a workbook which encourages users to develop a personal strategy.
- TEFL Uncovered is extremely honest about the economic realities, and cultural challenges of teaching English.
- It includes detailed information about opportunities, challenges, documentation and insider info of each region and country.
- TEFL Uncovered provides a wealth of teaching resources including classroom strategies for a successful start.
- Provides tools such as key questions to ask employers, networking tips, as well as worksheets to develop resumes.
- Unfortunately, the PDF format doesn't allow you to edit directly in the workbook unless you own Adobe software.
- For teachers who are already well established, the guide provides few details on improving on an existing TESOL career.
- This extensive book (143 pages) is absolutely free for download!
Guide Review - TEFL Uncovered - Review
TEFL Uncovered - How to Teach Your Way Abroad With TEFL by James Jenkin is an exhaustive guide to the process of becoming an English as a Foreign Language - and presumably, with slight variations, an English as a Second Language - teacher. TEFL Uncovered was sponsored by i-to-i Online Teaching which also provides online TEFL certification (see my review of the i-to-i online TEFL course).
TEFL Uncovered - How to Teach Your Way Abroad With TEFL takes teachers through the entire process of becoming an English teacher abroad beginning with a general overview through certification, teaching techniques, employment and, finally, to chapters on what you can expect when teaching in specific countries.TEFL Uncovered - How to Teach Your Way Abroad With TEFL is written as a workbook with ample opportunity to take note of your own objectives, understanding of topic areas and future goals. As such, it provides a hands-on introduction to teaching English abroad, as well as a continuing guide to teachers who are relatively new to the profession.