- Hello. This is Kenneth Beare. May I speak to Ms Sunshine, please?
- Hold the line a moment, I'll check if she is in her office.
- Thank you.
- (after a moment) Yes, Ms Sunshine is in. I'll put you through.
- Hello, this is Ms Sunshine. How can I help you?
- Hello, my name is Kenneth Beare and I'm calling to enquire about the position advertised in Sunday's Times.
- Yes, the position is still open. Could I have your name and number please?
- Certainly, My name is Kenneth Beare...
- Hello. Could I speak to Jack Parkins, please?
- Who's calling, please?
- This is Fred Blinkingham. I'm a friend of Jack's.
- Hold the line, please. I'll put your call through. (after a moment) - I'm afraid he's out at the moment. Can I take a message?
- Yes. Can you ask him to give me a call? My number is 345-8965
- Could you repeat that, please?
- Certainly. That's 345-8965
- OK. I'll make sure Mr. Parkins gets your message.
- Thank you. Goodbye.
This is ...
May (Can, Could) I speak to...?
I'm calling ...
Hold the line a moment...
put someone through...
take a message
call, ring, phone
Note: On the telephone, use 'this is...' instead of 'I am'.More Intermediate Level Dialogues