This quiz is for in-class use and does not have the answers provided. Take the interactive version of the Intermediate Level Review quiz for correct answers and results.
Choose the best answer to fill in the blank.
1. I __________________ TV when the telephone rang.
- was watching
- are watching
2. I'm afraid I'm not hungry. I've _______ eaten lunch.
3. My mother let me __________ late when I was a child.
- stay out
- to stay out
- staying out
4. Would you like _____ chicken?
5. He has _____ friends in Chicago.
- few of
6. She _______ lunch by the time we arrived.
- is finished
- had finished
7. What shall we do tonight? How about _______ a film?
- to see
8. ______ you ever _____ Hollywood?
- Did you ever go
- Have you ever gone
- Are you ever gone
9. Have you finished your homework _____?
10. Jack is really _________ history, especially Japanese history.
- interesting in
- interested on
- interested in
11. These images ___________________ by an artist named Phil Thomsen.
- were photographed
12. If I ______ you, I would wait a while to begin investing.
13. He'll give you a call as soon as he ________.
- will arrive
- is going to arrive
14. He found his watch _______ his papers on his desk.
15. Would you mind ___________ me a hand this morning?
- to give
16. I think San Francisco is _____ exciting _____ New York.
- as .... as
- as .... than
- than ... as
17. If she ________ he was coming, she would have prepared the guest room.
- had known
- have known
18. She ______ me she wanted to come.
19. What _________________ do at work?
- must you
- have you to
- do you have to
20. I wonder if ________________________ yet.
- has the letter arrived
- the letter has arrived
- has arrived the letter
21. Do you really want to __________ that meeting until tomorrow?
- put off
- put until
- put on
22. I'm hungry! Just a moment, I ______ you a sandwich.
- 'll make
- 'm going to make
- 'm making
23. _________________, we won't have much to talk about.
- If not he comes
- Unless he comes
- Since he comes
24. Oh, look at those clouds! It ___________ rain
- will rain
- 's going to
25. How is he? - Frank, oh he's _______.
- quite handsome
26. Jack told her that he __________________ the next day.
- is coming
- is going to come
- was going to come
27. He will meet you ______________ the station at seven o'clock.
- front of
- in front of
28. If you want to be healthy, you _________ smoke.
- must not to
- don't have to
29. He's ______________politics.
- boring by
- interested by
- bored by
30. Where was Jack yesterday? - I don't know. He __________ seeing the doctor.
- might have been
- might was
- would have been
31. Yes, that is the woman ______ horse almost trampled her!
32. Would you like me to ___________ the children next week?
- look into
- look at
- look after
33. I missed the train., so I _________ take the one after.
- had to
34. Why are your hands so dirty? - Well, I _________________ in the garden for the last two hours.
- have been working
- have worked
35. Fiestas _______________ in Cologne, Germany for many years now.
- have been made
- have been making
- are made
36. _______________ I didn't really want to eat all the cookies, I just couldn't help myself.
- Let me to explain!
- Let me explain!
- I explain!