This quiz is for in-class use and does not have the answers provided. Take the interactive version of the Colloquial Pair Phrases Quiz for correct answers and results.
Visit http://esl.about.com for more practice quizzes, as well as study sheets and information on grammar, vocabulary, listening, reading and writing.
Choose the appropriate colloquial 'pair-phrase' to complete the sentences.
prim and proper
to and fro
odds and ends
hard and fast
tooth and nail
by and large
pros and cons
down and out
length and breadth
safe and sound
1. She's very _____________ about everything. Make sure you don't use any swear words around her!
2. You can find quality beers throughout the _____________ of Ireland.
3. She believes that, ____________, there is nothing we can do to change anything.
4. I'm afraid these rules are _______________. We can't make any exceptions.
5. Now, you'll have to fight _____________ to win this game.
6. We just had ______________ for dinner.
7. I'm afraid that John is _________________. I saw him begging the other day.
8. Their parents were relieved when they arrived _________________ from their hiking trip.
9. I've been running _________ all day long. I'm exhausted!
10. You need to consider the ___________ before you make a decision.