This quiz is for in-class use and does not have the answers provided. Take the interactive version of the Past Forms Review Quiz for correct answers and results.
Choose the correct form in the brackets. Click on the button to check your answer.
Use "lower case" typed answers - incorrectly spelled answers will be wrong.
1. They (were cleaning up / had cleaned up) while I was cooking dinner.
2. There was no food left when I returned. They (had eaten / ate) everything!
3. If she had visited us last summer, she (would have enjoyed / would enjoy) the hikes in the mountains.
4. I (checked / was checking) the bags before we left on holiday.
5. If he (broke / had broken) the window he would repair it.
6. She told me she was flying to Chicago last week. She (must have been / must be) in her hotel room last night.
7. By the time the presentation began, they (completed / had completed) their discussion.
8. If I (had been / were) you, I would finish my homework!
9. She is very intelligent. She (can not have thought/ couldn't have thought) that!
10. When I arrived, they (stretched their legs / were stretching their legs).