Choose the correct letter to fill the blank.
1. _____ his illness, John continued to play rugby.
- Even though
2. After many peace corps teachers return to the States, ___________ professional English teachers.
- often they become
- they often become
- and often become
3. _______ that the American Indian crossed a land bridge into North America from what is now Russia.
- It is considered
- It is thought
- It was thought
4. None of the students _____ a car.
- have got
5. _______ the Depression, individual stock ownership was common in the United States.
- It was during
- By the time of
6. Never before _____ as rapidly, as during the last three decades.
- communications have developed
- have communications developed
- have developed communications
7. It is not yet clearly understood _________ cause obesity.
- why eating too many hamburgers can
- why can eating too many hamburgers
- eating too many hamburgers can
8. The Eiffel Tower is ________ the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- as popular a tourist attraction than
- as popular a tourist attraction as
- as more popular a tourist attraction as
9. While most New Yorkers believe in ghosts, ______ do not.
- are a few who
- there are a few which
- there are a few that
10. With his first painting 'Le Temple du Mordu', George Lesereaux _______ to establish himself as a master of pointilism.
- with ability
- was able
11. ______ Chinese is more difficult to learn than English.
- It is certain that
- Certain it is that
- Certainly is
12. Thinker and poet, ___________ the Brinker prize for his poem 'Alexander' in 1976.
- Claude Pinocchio was awarded
- was awarded Claude Pinocchio
- was awarded to Claude Pinocchio
13. Research now proves that eating fish and chips is healthier than _______
- when eating hamburgers.
- eating hamburgers.
- to eat hamburgers.
14. It was ______ Johnny finally gave up.
- such difficult that
- so difficult that
- so a difficult test that
15. __________, I would have returned it immediately.
- If I knew that you wanted to read it
- I had known that you wanted to read it
- Had I known that you wanted to read it
16. In the 1990s, _________ its premium position in the world economy.
- the USA returned
- the USA returned to
- the USA returning
17. ___________ in a home where two parents work is a difficult task indeed.
- Children brought up
- To bring up children
- Bringing up children
18. There has not yet been any decision made _______ will represent the country at the Olympics
- concerned athletes chosen
- as to which athletes
- those athletes
19. _____________, Shakespeare was also a prolific writer of sonnets.
- Noting for his plays
- Famous plays
- Noted for his plays
20. The Concorde, which is ______________ jet, can reach New York from London is approximately 2 and 1/2 hours.
- fastest in the world
- the fastest of the world
- the world's fastest
21. Scientists _____________ the existence of nano-technology capable of computation at the atomic level.
- newly have developed
- have recently developed
- have still developed
22. ___________ is portrayed in Hermann Hesse's 'Steppenwolf'.
- Man searching his soul
- A man searched his soul
- A man in search of his soul
23. Despite ____________, Jack continued to lose weight.
- he increased his food intake
- increasing food intake
- increased food intake
24. Singer and entertainer, ____________ for his beautiful and expressive voice.
- was Frank Sinatra famous
- famous was Frank Sinatra
- Frank Sinatra was famous
25. It is not only important to be on time, __________ courteous when replying to colleagues.
- but also is it important being
- but is it also important to be
- but it is also important to be
26. __________ was this check written?
- To who
- To whom
27. Children attending private schools ____________ being slightly spoiled.
- are often accused of
- often accused
- are often accused from
28. Diets based on only one basic food element ____________ no diet at all.
- can be as ineffective than
- can be as ineffective as
- can be so ineffective than
29. ________________ that James Franklin made his stunning debut.
- It was 'Lions'
- It was in 'Lions'
- 'Lions' it was
30. Considering human history, it ______________ using mass communications.
- has recently been that man
- is only recently that man has begun
- only recently is that man has begun
31. That test was _________________ .
- such difficult that I almost failed
- as difficult that I almost failed
- so difficult that I almost failed
32. 'Within Tuscany' ___________ Matthew Spender.
- is written from
- was written from
- was written by