The Bottom Line
- Text provides grammar, Spanish translation, pronunciation in context
- Student can take notes and create vocabulary list
- 'Hot' words can be clicked on to provide grammar explanation
- Related activities including video, pronunciation practice and crossword puzzles
- Detailed grammar explanations sections in Spanish
- Visually the program seems rather old-fashioned
- Only two extended reading sections
- English grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary program for Spanish speakers.
- Grammar explanations and translations in Spanish.
- Sentence by sentence translation, audio and key grammar.
- Key grammar concepts accessible at all times by clicking on red keywords.
- Detailed grammar guide in Spanish accessible with a click.
- Audio and video segment provided for extended sections on New York and Washington D.C.
- Pronunciation practice section provided as a standalone as well as within contextual passage.
- Students can take notes and record individual vocabulary lists.
Guide Review - Software
The program provides text, audio and video as the starting point for exploration. Click on a sentence, and the sentence is highlighted with a window provided for Spanish translation, an audio segment of the selected sentence, red key words which can be clicked for grammar information and an area for students to take notes and include new vocabulary. Expanded areas provide room for crossword puzzles, pronunciation practice and more.
EnglishNow! succeeds in providing a solid tool for Spanish speakers who want to explore English grammar in context. Of course, this necessitates a learner who is willing to spend the time doing so. The program layout itself is graphically outdated, so in need of bells and whistles will probably be disappointed. Nonetheless, opportunities abound in this very reasonably priced package.