Here is a list of common small talk subjects. If you have difficulties speaking about any of these topics, try to improve your vocabulary by using the resources available to you (Internet, magazines, teachers at school, etc.)
- Sports - current matches or games, favorite teams, etc.
- Weather - boring, but can get the ball rolling!
- Family - general questions, not questions about private matters
- Media - films, books, magazines, etc.
- Holidays - where, when, etc. but NOT how much!
- Home town - where do you come from, how is it different/similar to this town
- Job - once again, general questions not too specific
- Latest fashion and trends
- Celebrities - any gossip you may have!
Here is a list of topics that probably aren't very good for small talk. Of course, if you are meeting a close friend these topics may be excellent. Just remember that 'small talk' is generally discussion with people you don't know very well.
- Salary - how much do you make? - That's none of your business!
- Politics - wait to you get to know the person better
- Intimate relationships - only for you and your partner - or maybe your best friend
- Religion - tolerance is the key!
- Death - we need to face it, but not the first time we meet someone new
- Financial - related to salary above, most people prefer to keep financial information to themselves
- Sales - Don't try to sell something to someone you have just met.