While old-fashioned, I still find what I call "grammar banging" (intensive grammar review sheets) useful at the end or beginning of the year. The end of year calls for exam preparation and the beginning calls for some review to raise awareness of what has already been learnt and where problems still lie. The sheets provided in these "grammar banging" reviews are very effective because each question focuses on one important, specific area. I have included the answers and a short note of the grammar focus after the exercise.
Aim: Grammar review of the most important lower level English tenses, structure and functions
Activity: Grammar banging multiple choice review lesson with each question focusing on a specific point
Level: Beginner to lower-intermediate
- This is straight-forward stuff. Make the copies and give them to the students.
- Have each student do the sheet by him/herself.
- Ask students to compare answers and discuss differences, each student trying to explain his/her choice.
- Correct sheet as a class. Review each grammar point quickly - you should get a lot of "Oh, yeah....".
- Give the students an unmarked copy of the same exercise to repeat at home to solidify the review exercise.
"Grammar Banging" - Review your English - 2
Choose the correct word to fill in the gap
- We have our English lesson _____ Tuesday.
A) at B) in C) on D) to
- Let's meet ______ four o'clock.
A) in B) on C) at D) to
My car was more expensive _______ his.
A) as B) so C) than D) that
- When ___________ to her?
A) you talked B) have you talk C) have you talked D) did you talk
- She _________ she wanted to come.
A) told B) said me C) said D) told to me
- We _______ a wonderful dinner yesterday evening.
A) have had B) has C) had D) didn't had
I ___________ TV when the telephone rang.
A) was watching B) watched C) have watched D) watch
- ___________________ your homework yet?
A) Were you finished B) Did you finished C) Have you finished D) Finished
- I'm hungry! Just a moment, I______ make you a sandwich.
A) 'm going to B) 'll C) 'm D) should
- I enjoy his books because he writes so ___________.
A) good B) goodly C) well D) gooder
- It _____________ rain tomorrow.
A) is not going to B) won't C) not D) isn't
- __________ he look like?
A) How does B) How is C) What is D) What does
- She asked him ___________ her.
A) help B) to help C) helping D) helped
Back to lessons resource page