1. Education

Kenneth Beare

English Language Levels

By March 29, 2012

This rubric provides English language level guidelines and expectations for learners at four different levels. Speaking and pronunciation, reading, writing and listening skills and capabilities are described in detail for each of these levels to help teachers and learners establish the correct English learning level either before a course begins, or at the end of a course during the testing phase.

Beginning Level Basic Communicative Skills
Lower Intermediate Level - Increasing Communicative Skills
Upper Intermediate Level - Increased Understanding and Communicative Competence
Advanced Level - Confident Communicative Skills

Comments

October 5, 2010 at 10:23 am
(1) Bold Adventurer says:

I love all of your articles. I have taught in language schools around the world, and am now teaching in a university in Bosnia.
I have the job of helping professors work with whole groups of ELLs in academic English. The professors are not used to methodology of teaching, and I would like to know if you have articles or sources I could use for academic English placement, lessons, study helps, note taking, etc.
Thank you.

October 5, 2010 at 11:10 am
(2) abdisalam. mohamud says:

Thank you for sending me different articles and it helped me a lot, thanks again Mr keneth Beare for your effort.
As we kmow, there are lot of people around the world who are interesting to learn english as a second language and they have alot of problems because even some of them they don,t know how to read and write.
Fortunately, new technology can help them plus our teaching.
Thanks

October 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(3) JWebber says:

If someone really cares of his writing, he should be able to notice and eliminate spelling error, puntuation and most specially the English grammar.

October 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm
(4) Aurea says:

Right, JWebber. However, I noticed that your sentence may imply that we should be able and eliminate not only spelling error, but also punctuation and most specially English grammar!!
I know you did not mean that, so I suggest placing a verb before the word punctuation (such as:check), and maybe another one before the rest of the sentence. Thanks.

October 6, 2010 at 2:53 am
(5) Tariq says:

Dear Keneth,
I really like your stuff regarding English language learning. A lot of precious points and explanations are available, but what I am more interested in is writing skill.
Could you help me in this regard by sending e-mails in this particular field. And if you check this letter and tell me about any mistake I have made.
I would be really grateful and looking forward to seeing from you.

Regards,

Tariq Mehmood.

October 6, 2010 at 3:32 am
(6) E. Muzee says:

Kenneth,
I love your quizzes!

October 6, 2010 at 3:47 am
(7) winarsih says:

in my country we teach English in some genre like descriptive, report, explanation, exposition, etc. Please give us discussion/example/explanation about that, would you?

October 7, 2010 at 5:05 am
(8) Belgin says:

You are great!
Whatever I need I can find in your site. I always advise your page to all teachers around me.
Thank you so much.
I hope you will keep helping English teachers and learners for a long long long time…

October 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(9) tariq says:

Dear Keneth,
Thanks for replying at earliest, I am really grateful at such kindness on your part. I would really do my best to attain a maximum benefits from the given address. Once again thanks.
regards,
Tariq Mehmood.

October 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(10) xasan says:

Dear Keneth,
I really like your stuff regarding learning English language .and your good explanations available, but what I am more interested in is learning English Business words.
I would be really grateful and looking forward to seeing from you.

Xasan Cali (Xasan Somali )

October 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(11) xasan says:

I really admired your vocabulary

October 15, 2010 at 5:47 am
(12) sufatmi says:

Thank you for your teaching via internet, I need some models about teaching descriftive writing as foreign laguage for senior high school

March 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm
(13) abdisalam Mohamud says:

Thank you so much for sending us daily lessons through internet. when I see the lessons I feel happy becouse as Iam someone who is in the class and my teacher of english is in the class.
From the time I have joined this programme of ESL my english language is improving.
Thanks again Mr Kenneth Beare,

March 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm
(14) Mohamed B says:

Thank you for sending or learning english every daily that i appreciette it…my english language now is OK

March 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(15) Luz says:

Thank you so much Mr. Kenneth Beare for this web-site.
I am going overseas to teach English, and your site has helped me quite alot.
I look forward to learning much more from it.
Thank-you again.

March 3, 2011 at 12:55 am
(16) Jolly Kowser says:

Dear Kenneth ,
I am Jolly, a visual impaired. I study english regularly to improve my writing skill. Your daily e-mail helps me a lot to improve my english. As We, visual impaired can access computer through a software named JAWS, often I face problem to access all lessons sent by you. . My cordial request to you if you think about person with vision impairment, it would be very helpful for a visual impaired to learn English easily. Among your lesson, English grammer specially preposition and vocabulary helps me a lot as I can’t read paper documents to improve myself. Thank you again for your initiative . It helps us to learn correct english .

March 3, 2011 at 4:59 am
(17) Farah shukri says:

Dear Keneth,
your teaching through the enternet is really motivating,an EFL instructor in a remote town in kenya and i have 12 years experience in teaching EFL, but your choice of words and methodologies were great value to me.
keep it up but i would like to ask if i can be assisted more in functional writing particularly at advanced level.

regards

March 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(18) shosho says:

thanks alot ,greetings from egyptians
i hope to send listening,videos to help develop speaking

March 7, 2011 at 9:55 am
(19) Sonia says:

Hello Teacher.

Thanks a million! for sending me the best material for learning English language. understanding this material is very easy. Moreover, learning according to the level is really wonderful. it is just like progressing day by day. “Daily Tips” keeps me excited everyday to go to my Id and learn something new. so nice of you!

Sonia.

April 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(20) Rider says:

I’m good in English but i need more practice in speaking. that’s enough for me to look after every word and sentence. I knows all the information and explanations that they gave to me. I’m good and i will be good anytime and anywhere. Kenneth, I tell you one thing, you’re great and I was happy to learn from your site known as esl at about.com and I’m really too appreciate the fact that you gives a chance to all of yours learners. good luck man, You’re great believe me.

April 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(21) Ray Cole says:

Hi Ken. I was reading the various comments made on the website, and I was especially taken by the one below. Is there any way that I would be able to help this fellow? I would ask him, myself, but of course there’s no contact info., so I can’t:

“Jolly Kowser says:

“Dear Kenneth ,
I am Jolly, a visual impaired. I study english regularly to improve my writing skill. Your daily e-mail helps me a lot to improve my english. As We, visual impaired can access computer through a software named JAWS, often I face problem to access all lessons sent by you. . My cordial request to you if you think about person with vision impairment, it would be very helpful for a visual impaired to learn English easily. Among your lesson, English grammer specially preposition and vocabulary helps me a lot as I canít read paper documents to improve myself. Thank you again for your initiative . It helps us to learn correct english .”

By the way, kudos on what you’re doing; it appears, from the comments, as though your efforts are helping quite a few people.

–Ray Cole

April 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm
(22) Jameel Azeez says:

dear sir ,
thank you for your great efforts to help learners and teachers of english .
we have a new course of teaching english as second language called
” Iraq Opportunities ” It is a communicative one .we find a lot of difficulties
to make rubrics or assessment about oral tasks . Would you please
advise us what to do ?
Thank you .

April 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(23) karin says:

Dear Kenneth,
I’m really thank full about every single article, it helps me a lot in my English learning…. thanks

April 4, 2012 at 5:49 am
(24) Masud Salahshori says:

Dear teacher thank you so much for your effort to learn me English language.Bye

April 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(25) josefdo says:

I really think that you have excelent useful tools for learning eglish, I am wondering if you have a colection of short interesting stories ?

have a nice day

April 4, 2012 at 10:58 pm
(26) Corina D says:

Thanks a lot,Mr.Beare
I really apreciate your help. I have learned a lot.
God bless you…
Corina D

April 7, 2012 at 10:56 am
(27) izaias says:

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ARTICLES SENDING THROUGH INTERNET.

April 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm
(28) Silvia Orellana says:

Dear Ken, Thank you very much for all your effort sharing the important and usefull tools to lear English, I really enjoy your page any time i get it, I am also recomendign this to other students.

Thanks again for everything you have done to help others to have a better communication around the world.

Best regards,