1. Education

Kenneth Beare

Tense Tables - All 12 Tenses on One Page

By May 23, 2013

The other day during class I wrote a table of the conjugation of four tenses on the board. The students enjoyed the visual overview of all tenses side by side which allowed them to see the minor differences between the various tenses quickly. At the end of the lesson, Tarsis (an English learning pilot from Brazil) asked me for the chart. What a great idea! I've put together these tense tables of all 12 tenses - 13 if you count the future with 'going to' - in the positive, negative and question form on one page. Another great way to review tenses is to use the visual tense charts providing time clues to usage. Finally, you can also get an overview of all the tenses and the relation to past, present and future by using this tense timeline.

Comments

May 28, 2013 at 8:02 am
(1) Jack says:

Please forgive me but shouldn’t the Past Simple3 sentences “to the story” be “to the store” instead?
Jack

May 28, 2013 at 8:22 am
(2) Andrea says:

Pardon my adding on…but ‘nother possible fix-it…In the future perfect section, I think there is one too many “have”s. ;-) Thanks for the charts, though! My students will love them! Great help!

May 28, 2013 at 8:59 am
(3) ieBrazil says:

Just and Perfect!
I’d only correct the typing of FInally, at the end of the first paragraph.
See ya!

May 28, 2013 at 9:01 am
(4) adele riepe says:

Thanks for all of these– I think my students will love them as well. And they sure are a help!

Adele

May 28, 2013 at 9:07 am
(5) Eric Parker says:

“When will I help me with my homework tomorrow?”
YUK!

May 28, 2013 at 9:17 am
(6) Susan says:

Yes Jack, you’re right. I agree with your comment.
” Story” doesn’t make sense and “store” does.
It should be changed. I hope they read your comment.
Thank you.
Susan

May 28, 2013 at 10:26 am
(7) Nathalie says:

thank you very much, my French students will appreciate ! it is clear and the charts will help too

May 28, 2013 at 11:08 am
(8) Ken Beare says:

Thank you for your sharp eyes! I’ve made the corrections to the table. I appreciate the feedback.

Kenneth Beare

May 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(9) Penne says:

In the past simple, “story” still appears in most of the examples. Also, in your introduction, have a look at, “I’ve put together these tense tables of all 12 tenses – 13 if you count the future with ‘going to’ – in the positive, negative and question form on one page.” “Form” should be plural. But actually (pardon my saying so) it’s a lousy sentence. Try rewriting it.

Thanks for the chart -it’s very useful!

May 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(10) Muhammad says:

Thank you very much Mr. Ken Beare.

May 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(11) Michael M says:

Handy chart. I’ve always treated it like this: 1st and 3rd persons have their own tense forms, 2nd person is always treated as a plural, and is grouped with plurals. Thus you only really have three distinct tense situations, not twelve.

May 28, 2013 at 11:53 pm
(12) Tim says:

I apologize to my EFL students every day for how complicated my language s!

May 29, 2013 at 12:43 am
(13) Fateme says:

Thanks so much. you make my job easier. But why isn’t it printable?!!

May 29, 2013 at 1:08 am
(14) jaleel says:

I eat breakfast at 8 in the morning – present or past?

May 29, 2013 at 1:40 am
(15) ami wida sari says:

This is awesome table, effective, and really helpful, thank you so much.

May 29, 2013 at 3:41 am
(16) zen911 says:

ate is past… so eat will be in the present or future..

May 29, 2013 at 3:49 am
(17) Ellis Dion says:

Thanks ever so much.

May 29, 2013 at 4:42 am
(18) Camille says:

I really appreciate the work that went into putting this together. Thank you!

I do have a question though about what’s categorized as a helper verb. For example – in present perfect, the ‘have’ is shown as a helper. Great, that’s how I learned it a million years ago. But in the future perfect form, it’s in the main verb section. Isn’t it still a helper? Just with the company of ‘will’

May 29, 2013 at 9:19 am
(19) Angels says:

I think this is great, just what we’ve been practising for the last sessions and just what the students need instead of all this digital non-profitable books. They’ll love the chart.

May 29, 2013 at 9:35 am
(20) constantin says:

Your materials are so useful, as usual. Thnk you for them!
As for the tense tables, in my opinion, there is one tense missing – the so-called “Future-in-the-Past” (would + Bare Infinitive/would + be + -ing) – when we want to express a future action after a Past Tense:
Tom promised me then that he WOULD VISIT me soon.
I hoped that my sons WOULD BE SLEEPING when I got home.

Am I right?

Constantin

May 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm
(21) Maha Issa says:

Thank you Mr. Ken Beare for this valuable material, I think my students will love it.

May 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(22) leonor says:

Thank you so much for this I never miss your lessons, articles, etc. For me they are just perfect, useful and always on time.

May 31, 2013 at 5:49 am
(23) marieme ndiaye says:

Thanks for the help,your lessons are helping me a lot in my every day lessons,and this one is perfect.

June 4, 2013 at 9:36 am
(24) Princess says:

Thank you very much for this, I appreciate all efforts made to achieve the aims and objective of student.

June 4, 2013 at 9:38 am
(25) Gladys says:

” I eat breakfast at 8 in the morning” — you are referring to an habitual,repeated action so, itīs one of the usages of simple present. I don’t agree with the comment that expresses that it may be future, not in this context.( for ex. it may be future when speaking about arrivals and departures of means of transport ex: The bus leaves at 3:00; when referring to tour schedules, ex. breakfast is served from 8:00 to 9:00 am .then, the group leaves for…(a place)..etc, etc)or, when speaking about openings and closings of events like: the exhibition opens on June 24th,..etc

June 5, 2013 at 12:05 am
(26) Pilar Sahurie says:

Thank you very much for your help.

June 9, 2013 at 1:27 am
(27) sivaprakasam says:

an excellent guide for learners of english/ thank u

January 22, 2014 at 4:48 am
(28) kuldeep says:

Thanks A lot.

March 18, 2014 at 11:57 am
(29) Aim Sopork says:

Hello, everybody how are you? for me fine