Grammar Lesson: Tense Review
These pages provide a lesson aimed at reviewing names and structures of basic tenses. On the second page you will find a printable version of the lesson, as well as the answers to the exercises.
Aim: To inductively review both structure and names of basic tenses
Activity: Personal Questions with follow up tense name and auxillary verb quizzes
- Divide students into groups of 2 to 4
- Have students take personal information quiz in groups
- Check answers as a class, ask students to quickly speak about what they have learned about their fellow students
- Have groups identify tense names used in questions
- Give auxiliary verb exercise to students to be done individually
- Correct auxiliary exercise in class
Personal Information Quiz
- When did you last see a film?
- How many times have you been abroad?
- What type of books do you like reading?
- When were you born?
- How long have you been learning English?
- What will the weather be like tomorrow?
- What were you doing at 7 o'clock yesterday evening?
- What are your parents doing?
- Where are your classes taught?
- What are you going to do after this course finishes?
What are the names of the tenses used in the above questions?
- Past Continuous
- Present Simple Passive
- Present Perfect
- Future Intent
- Present Perfect Continuous
- Past Simple Passive
- Future Prediction
- Present Simple
- Present Continuous
- Past Simple