Once you've taught a beginning level class for a few months, it's time for review. There are so many new learning points over the course of a class that students need to revisit what they have learned. In order to do this, I like to do a bit of what I call "grammar banging". Students take a quiz which has a question for each type of learning point the class has covered. The point of this exercise is to encourage students to discuss each point to review together. I like using this exercise in small groups to raise awareness of what has already been learned and where problems still lie. The sheets provided in these "grammar banging" reviews are very effective because each question focuses on one important, specific area.
Aim: Grammar review of the most important intermediate level English tenses, structure and functions
Activity: Grammar banging multiple choice review lesson with each question focusing on a specific point
- This is straight-forward stuff. Make the copies and give them to the students.
- Have each student do the sheet by him/herself.
- Ask students to compare answers and discuss differences, each student trying to explain his/her choice.
- Correct sheet as a class. Review each grammar point quickly - you should get a lot of "Oh, yeah....".
- Give the students an unmarked copy of the same exercise to repeat at home to solidify the review exercise.
"Grammar Banging" - Review your English - 1
Choose the correct word to fill in the gap
- Are there ______ apples in the kitchen?
A) much B) any C) some
- That is _____ interesting book.
A) the B) a C) an
- I went ______ church last Sunday.
A) at B) in C) to
- What _____ he like? - He is very friendly.
A) does B) did C) is
- I ________ a new car last month.
A) bought B) have bought C) buyed
- How ________ money do you have in your pocket?
A) many B) few C) much
- He came ______ home late last night.
A) - B) at C) to
- Jack is a nice boy, and I like _____.
A) - B) him C) his
- I get up ______ seven o'clock every day
A) in B) on C) at
- I like __________ music.
A) listen B) listen to C) listening to
- What __________ in your free time?
A) you do B) do you do C) are you doing
- My father _______ in a bank.
A) works B) work C) is working
- Would you like _______ coffee?
A) any B) an C) some
Back to lessons resource page