While old-fashioned, I still find what I call "grammar banging" (intensive grammar review sheets) useful at the end or beginning of the year. The end of year calls for exam preparation and the beginning calls for some review to raise awareness of what has already been learnt and where problems still lie. The sheets provided in these "grammar banging" reviews are very effective because each question focuses on one important, specific area. I have included the answers and a short note of the grammar focus after the exercise.
Aim: Grammar review of the most important intermediate level English tenses, structure and functions
Activity: Grammar banging multiple choice review lesson with each question focusing on a specific point
- This is straight-forward stuff. Make the copies and give them to the students.
- Have each student do the sheet by him/herself.
- Ask students to compare answers and discuss differences, each student trying to explain his/her choice.
- Correct sheet as a class. Review each grammar point quickly - you should get a lot of "Oh, yeah....".
- Give the students an unmarked copy of the same exercise to repeat at home to solidify the review exercise.
"Grammar Banging" - Review your English - 1
Choose the correct word to fill in the gap
- I __________________ TV when the telephone rang.
A) watched B) was watching C) are watching D) have watched
- I'm afraid I'm not hungry. I've _______ eaten lunch.
A) yet B) still C) already D) ever
- My mother let me ____________ late when I was a child.
A) to stay out B) stayed out C) stay out D) staying out
- Would you like ___________ chicken?
A) any B) a C) some D) one
- He has _______ friends in Chicago.
A) a lot B) few C) few of D) much
- She _________________ lunch by the time we arrived.
A) had finished B) finished C) have finished D) finishing
- What shall we do tonight? How about ___________ a film?
A) to see B) see C) seeing D) going
- _______ you ever ________ to Hollywood?
A) Did ... go B) Have .... go C) Have ... gone D) Shall .... go
- Have you finished your homework ______?
A) yet B) already C) still D) just
- Jack is really ______________ history, especially Japanese history.
A) interested at B) interesting in C) interested in D) interested for
- These images ______________ by an artist named Phil Thomsen.
A) are photographed B) were photoed C) photographed D) were photographed
- If I __________ you, I would wait a while to begin investing.
A) was B) am C) were D) would be
- He'll give you a call as soon as he __________.
A) will arrive B) arrives C) is arriving D) is going to arrive.
Back to lessons resource page