Choose the best answer to fill in the blank.
1. If she _________ about his financial situation, she would have helped him out.
- had known
- would have known
2. I'll be _______________ their cat while they are away on holiday.
- looking into
- looking at
- looking after
3. He made his children _____ their homework every afternoon.
- to do
4. The test was _____ difficult she had problems finishing it on time.
5. By the time she arrives, we _________________ our homework.
- will finish
- will have finished
6. She _________ lunch by the time we arrived.
- had finished
- was finished
7. The sun ______ at 9 last night.
8. When I stopped __________ to Mary, she was picking some flowers in her garden.
- to speak
9. Despite ___________ hard, he failed the exam.
- he studied
10. That room ____________ for a meeting this afternoon.
- is used
- is being used
11. We _______ play tennis every day when we were young.
- would to
12. If I __________ you, I would get a better job.
13. He'll give you a call as soon as he _______.
- will arrive
- is going to arrive
14. I really didn't want to come last night. ______________
- So did I.
- Neither I did.
- Neither did I.
15. Do you think he knows what ________?
- he wants
- does he want
- wants he
16. I think San Francisco is ______ exciting _____ New York.
- as ... than
- as .... so
- as ... as
17. Why are your hands so dirty? - Well, I ______________ in the garden.
- have worked
- have been working
18. Did you remember __________ the door?
- to lock
19. ____________ 250 k.p.h.?
- Which model does go
- Which does model go
- Which model goes
20. That is the man ________ grandfather founded Kentucky Root Beer.
21. I could hardly ___________ the ship in the distance.
- see out
- make through
- make out
22. Look at those clouds! It ___________ rain.
- 's going to
23. _________________, we won't have much to talk about.
- If not he comes
- Unless he comes
- Since he comes
24. He has _____ interest in continuing the project.
- not any
25. Where do you think Jane was yesterday? - She __________ at home.
- must be
- must have been
- must go
26. Jack told me he ___________ come the next day.
- is going to
- was going to
27. He drove the car __________ the garage and left for work.
- out of
28. Jack ______________ a fortune when his great uncle passed on.
- came along
- came into
- came through
29. Unfortunately, Peter has ______ friends in Tacoma.
- a few
- a lot
30. 'I will finish that project soon.' - Ken said he ________ finish that project soon.
31. In his position _____ managing director, he is responsible for more than 300 employees.
32. She wished she __________ the new car.
- would buy
- had bought
33. Fiestas ____________ in Cologne, Germany for many years now.
- have been made
- have been making
- have made
34. I think you ___________ see a doctor.
- should better to
- had better
35. You'll be leaving for Tokyo soon, _______?
- aren't you
- will you
- won't you
36. ______ the last market session the Dow Jones dropped 67 points.