This quiz is for in-class use and does not have the answers provided. Take the interactive version of the TOEFL Vocabulary Practice Quiz for correct answers and results.1. The criminal was asked to aid police in their 'inquiry'.
2. He 'marshaled' the troops for the offensive.
3. The use of penicillin is 'diffuse'.
- widely available
4. I like Florida because of the balmy winters.
5. He 'poured over' the questions until he couldn't keep his eyes open anymore.
6. You will find the office at the main 'intersection'.
7. He found the smell of the lotus blossom 'repugnant', and asked for a different type of flower.
8. Teenage 'lethargy' is often due to lack of proper nutrients.
9. Unfortunately, information concerning the latest crisis in the state government is arriving 'piecemeal'.
- bit by bit
10. Many of the students attitudes are considered too 'cynical' for publication.
11. George Washington's 'immutable' courage was a key ingredient in the success of The United States during the Revolutionary War.
12. It is important to weed out the 'chaff' when considering a new position.
13. His position was 'contrary' to that of the teacher's.
14. The show 'culminated' in the presentation of the dairy princess crown.
15. The 'coach' for Miami leaves shortly after 9.
16. Mozart's 'partiality' for chocolate from Salzburg resulted in today's famous Mozart Kugeln.
17. The lion's 'ferocious' behavior was attributed to its lack of edible flesh.
18. Be careful not to 'rush' your studies, even when in a hurry.
19. Dormitory 'get-togethers' are encouraged on a monthly basis.
- study periods
- informal meetings
- cleaning sessions
20. The artist's 'profile' can be found carved into the cave walls.
21. Horses are often put out to 'pasture' during the early morning hours.
22. Janet's 'profuse' use of the adjective like bothered the professor.
23. The 'crooked' use of gambling schemes are often found while surfing the Internet.