Here is an example of a sample cover letter written in response to an advertisement in the newspaper. Before taking a look at the letter, here are some useful key phrases to use in your own cover letters.
Useful Key Phrases
- I am writing to you in response to your advertisement for...
- As you can see from my enclosed resume, my experience and qualifications match this position's requirements.
- I would like to point out... immediately upon his return.
- During ...., I improved (furthered, extended, etc.) my knowledge of...,
- I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you in person. (OR to speak with you personally)
2520 Vista Avenue
Olympia, Washington 98501
April 19, 2001
Mr. Bob Trimm, Personnel Manager
587 Lilly Road
Dear Mr. Trimm:
I am writing to you in response to your advertisement for a Legal Assistant specializing in Port Regulatory Law, which appeared in the Seattle Times on Sunday, June 15. As you can see from my enclosed resume, my experience and qualifications match this position's requirements.
I especially would like to point out that I graduated Cum Laude from The University of Tacoma and was hired directly upon graduation due to my expertise in port authority regulations.
During the four years that I worked for Shoreman and Co., I further deepened my knowledge of the fast changing regulatory laws in our state. My employer also thought highly enough of my abilities to promote me to head legal researcher after my first year of employment.
I look forward to an opportunity to personally discuss the position with you. I will call you within the next five days to arrange an interview.
EnclosureExample Cover Letters
For more detailed help with standard business writing skills, I highly recommend these business English books.
Here are some other basic business letters which you will find useful for typical English business correspondence.